How Chelsea could line up with Mykhaylo Mudryk
Chelsea have added another forward to their ranks with the signing of Mykhaylo Mudryk for €100 million.
The Ukraine starlet was a major target for Arsenal but has been persuaded to join the Blues instead, bringing much-needed firepower to a forward line that has struggled all season.
Here are a few ideas on how Graham Potter may put his new guy to use.
Mudryk is essentially a left winger and will basically dominate that position from this point forward, but the question is who will play alongside him.
In the near term, with most of Chelsea’s heavy hitters out injured, Potter’s attacking line lacks versatility.
- Manchester United’s stance on acquiring Marco Reus as the transfer window nears its close.
- ‘Blue is my favorite color,’ says Chelsea player despite reports he could leave the club this month.
- “Bruno Fernandes Issue Raised as Manchester United Urged to Rethink ‘World-Class’ Deal”
- “Potential Chelsea Move for £30m “Real Talent” Called “Dangerous” Could See Potter Secure His Own Carvajal”
- Chelsea has made an offer of €100 million in cash and a player to finalize the deal.
The simplest approach would be to play Mudryk.
- Mudryk – Felix – Havertz
- Mudryk – Havertz – Ziyech
- Mudryk – Felix – Sterling
Felix’s arrival adds to the number of expensive attackers at Potter’s disposal, which may make a 4-2-3-1 formation the best way to go.
Mudryk, again, takes the spot on the left wing but he’d be ask to rotate with the rest of Chelsea’s fluid front four, including the likes of Felix, Havertz and Hakim Ziyech.
Mason Mount, Raheem Sterling and Christian Pulisic are all looking for minutes here as well, giving Potter a bit of a headache.
- Mudryk – Felix (AM) – Havertz (ST) – Sterling
- Mudryk – Mount (AM) – Felix (ST) – Havertz
The Frenchman plays centrally, usually just off a central striker, which only adds to the conundrum of trying to fit all these players together.
A fluid 4-2-2-2 setup, with Nkunku billed as a striker but given the freedom to float around the final third, seems like the way to go. He may take the role of Felix, whose loan from Atletico Madrid does not include an option to buy.
- Mudryk – Nkunku – Havertz – Sterling
- Mudryk – Nkunku – Havertz – Mount