Lionel Messi forced to cover Argentina shirt to lift World Cup trophy as Gary Lineker rages
Furthermore, Gary Lineker was miserable that he was given the thing of apparel during the show. He said: “Astounding scenes, extraordinary pictures from a higher place and incredible pictures from inside the ground as Argentina win the World Cup for the third time.
“It seems a shame, in a way, that they’ve covered up Messi in his Argentina shirt,” he added.
- Manchester United’s stance on acquiring Marco Reus as the transfer window nears its close.
- Oleksandr Zinchenko issues a caution to Manchester City supporters after losing his huff with former teammates.
- Pep Guardiola praises Arsenal Player as an “incredible weapon” after his lively performance in Arsenal’s FA Cup match.
- Fans astonished after hearing Lionel Messi speak English ‘for the first time’
- Joao Cancelo’s admission to Pep Guardiola may help him reclaim a starting spot for Manchester City.
Ex-Argentina defender Pablo Zabaleta replied: “Just, why? Why? No reason to do that.” Alan Shearer joked: “I didn’t think Infantino was going to let him go either,” as Lineker added: “Nobody marked him that tightly during the game!”
However, Messi did soon ditch the robe before someone added a third star to his Argentina shirt to mark their third World Cup triumph.
“Three stars on Messi’s shirt I think I spot,” Lineker said. “And he’s taken the little robe off.”
Elsewhere, Gary Neville was amongst those running out of superlatives for Messi after the game as he raved about his success on ITV Sport.
“He should be centre of attention,” Neville said. “It feels right that Messi has won the World Cup.
“Destiny was there, he’s contributed enormous amounts throughout this tournament and his career. He’s lit up every single game he’s played in, if you’re watching Messi live you are truly blessed.
“Argentina, their passion, fight, spirit, nastiness till the end was absolutely amazing. That’s one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen in my life.”