Rio Ferdinand confesses he misjudged Mykhailo Mudryk as the Chelsea star set a Premier League record.
Rio Ferdinand has revealed that Mykhailo Mudryk, a new Chelsea player, proved him wrong barely minutes into his Premier League debut. At the start of the month, the 22-year-old winger was highly connected with a move to Arsenal, only for the Blues to step in and hijack a deal.
Mudryk came on as a substitute in the second half of West Ham’s goalless draw with Liverpool at Anfield. Despite not having played in a meaningful match for Shakhtar Donetsk since November, the Ukraine international seemed the brightest player on the field.
- Eden Hazard Opens Up: The Manager He Didn’t See Eye to Eye with During His Time at Chelsea
- New Footage Reveals Livid Jürgen Klopp Reaction, Possibly Explaining Early Liverpool Change Against Arsenal
- Chelsea Predicted XI Against Aston Villa: Mauricio Pochettino Explores Brand New System
- Mauricio Pochettino Denies Allegations of Disparaging Chelsea Players’ Quality
- Surprise Addition Joins Man Utd Training as Erik ten Hag Echoes Jonny Evans Decision
He injected intensity to Graham Potter’s side and proved to be a constant threat, forcing Jurgen Klopp to replace the yellow-carded James Milner for Trent Alexander-Arnold. Speaking on the YouTube channel FIVE, Ferdinand confessed to changing his opinion on Mudryk amid doubts that he’d fulfil his eye-watering price tag.
“I’ve got to say, his first touch he kicked it out of play, by the way,” the former Manchester United defender said. “Everyone in the studio looked at each other and said ‘£80m what? How much?’
“And his second touch, Milner got booked trying to bring him down because he knew he was going to be off. The jets were on. He is rapid! The kid isn’t even in rhythm, he’s not played any games in the last six weeks. Imagine when he’s fully fit.”
And, it turns out that Mudryk wasn’t just ‘rapid’, he was record-breaking rapid. Despite only 35 minutes or so in the English top-flight, the winger recorded the fastest speed of any player in the league this term (36.63 km/h).
- 1xBet ambassador received 3 Grammy nominations
- Mikel Arteta Reportedly Contemplating Departure from Arsenal at Season’s End, According to Barcelona Media
- Jose Mourinho’s Career Earnings from Managerial Dismissals Post Roma Departure
- Speculation Mounts as Jose Mourinho Reportedly Secures Next Job Amidst Rumors of Roma Sacking
- Liverpool Defender Hit by Covid Setback, Prompting Potential January Transfer Decision
Only Anthony Gordon, Darwin Nunes, Erling Haaland, and new teammate Denis Zakaria have come close to matching Mudryk’s top speed, but the Ukrainian shows no signs of slowing down, working extra hard in the gym.
Dima Chapovskyi, his performance coach, posted the video to Instagram with an intriguing caption: “37.00. It’s not a matter of temperature. It’s Mudryk vs Liverpool.”
With Chelsea already out of the FA Cup, Potter now has till the beginning of next month to work with MudryThe Blues will face Fulham at Stamford Bridge on February 3. Chelsea lost the rematch last month despite dominating the first half at Craven Cottage, with Joao Felix sent off on his debut after impressing in the opening half.k and other new acquisition Noni Mudueke at Cobham. The break and extra time on the training field will allow Chelsea’s manager to put his ideas into action.