Rio Ferdinand confesses he misjudged Mykhailo Mudryk as the Chelsea star set a Premier League record.
Rio Ferdinand has revealed that Mykhailo Mudryk, a new Chelsea player, proved him wrong barely minutes into his Premier League debut. At the start of the month, the 22-year-old winger was highly connected with a move to Arsenal, only for the Blues to step in and hijack a deal.
Mudryk came on as a substitute in the second half of West Ham’s goalless draw with Liverpool at Anfield. Despite not having played in a meaningful match for Shakhtar Donetsk since November, the Ukraine international seemed the brightest player on the field.
- Manchester United’s stance on acquiring Marco Reus as the transfer window nears its close.
- Oleksandr Zinchenko issues a caution to Manchester City supporters after losing his huff with former teammates.
- Pep Guardiola praises Arsenal Player as an “incredible weapon” after his lively performance in Arsenal’s FA Cup match.
- Fans astonished after hearing Lionel Messi speak English ‘for the first time’
- Joao Cancelo’s admission to Pep Guardiola may help him reclaim a starting spot for Manchester City.
He injected intensity to Graham Potter’s side and proved to be a constant threat, forcing Jurgen Klopp to replace the yellow-carded James Milner for Trent Alexander-Arnold. Speaking on the YouTube channel FIVE, Ferdinand confessed to changing his opinion on Mudryk amid doubts that he’d fulfil his eye-watering price tag.
“I’ve got to say, his first touch he kicked it out of play, by the way,” the former Manchester United defender said. “Everyone in the studio looked at each other and said ‘£80m what? How much?’
“And his second touch, Milner got booked trying to bring him down because he knew he was going to be off. The jets were on. He is rapid! The kid isn’t even in rhythm, he’s not played any games in the last six weeks. Imagine when he’s fully fit.”
And, it turns out that Mudryk wasn’t just ‘rapid’, he was record-breaking rapid. Despite only 35 minutes or so in the English top-flight, the winger recorded the fastest speed of any player in the league this term (36.63 km/h).
- Premier League half-season performance rate as Arsenal get top marks and Liverpool and Chelsea bottom of the list
- Who is the fastest player in the Premier League?
- The supercomputer has made a fresh forecast for the exciting Premier League title race between Manchester City and Arsenal.
- Top 20 richest football clubs in the world 2023
- 5 top teams that are struggling following the 2022 FIFA World Cup
Only Anthony Gordon, Darwin Nunes, Erling Haaland, and new teammate Denis Zakaria have come close to matching Mudryk’s top speed, but the Ukrainian shows no signs of slowing down, working extra hard in the gym.
Dima Chapovskyi, his performance coach, posted the video to Instagram with an intriguing caption: “37.00. It’s not a matter of temperature. It’s Mudryk vs Liverpool.”
With Chelsea already out of the FA Cup, Potter now has till the beginning of next month to work with MudryThe Blues will face Fulham at Stamford Bridge on February 3. Chelsea lost the rematch last month despite dominating the first half at Craven Cottage, with Joao Felix sent off on his debut after impressing in the opening half.k and other new acquisition Noni Mudueke at Cobham. The break and extra time on the training field will allow Chelsea’s manager to put his ideas into action.