HomePREMIER LEAGUEThe owner of Chelsea expresses regret following a controversy involving Ted Lasso

The owner of Chelsea expresses regret following a controversy involving Ted Lasso

-

The owner of Chelsea expresses regret following a controversy involving Ted Lasso

Chelsea owner Todd Boehly has apologized after the wording on a banner commemorating late club legend Ray Wilkins was changed while producers of the TV show “Ted Lasso” filmed scenes at Stamford Bridge for one of its episodes.

Since Wilkins’ death in 2018 at the age of 61, a banner at Chelsea’s stadium has read: “They don’t make them like Ray anymore.”

The wording on the banner was changed for the “Ted Lasso” episode, which aired recently on Apple TV+, to say “Roy” instead of “Ray” – a nod to a character in the series, Roy Kent, who is a fictional former Chelsea player returning to the club.

The club’s former stadium announcer, Neil Barnett, took aim at Boehly and co-owner Behdad Eghbali – who led the purchase of the London team from Roman Abramovich in May last year – in a tweet late Wednesday.

Boehly, who rarely tweets, responded that the new ownership “had nothing to do [with] these arrangements” and that a deal with Apple TV was reached in early 2022.

“We are sorry it affected so many and mostly we care about Ray and his family,” Boehly said in his reply.

Ross Wilkins, the son of Ray Wilkins, didn’t appear to take offence, tweeting Thursday: “This is TV and certainly nothing to do with the new regime.”

The Chelsea Supporters’ Trust said the banner was paid for by fans and many believe altering the wording was “disrespectful.”

“We have expressed our disappointment to club officials,” the trust said. “We expect that CFC will address this in due course.”

The owner of Chelsea expresses regret following a controversy involving Ted Lasso after his sudden death

Follow us

6,566FansLike
5,662FollowersFollow
584FollowersFollow

Most Popular